As our business has grown we have given serious thought to how we want to structure ourselves and what we want our impact to be in our backyard of Rabun County, the state, and beyond. To help us do that we have crafted a series of Values that help inform the direction our small business takes as we grow into a sustainable company built for the long haul. Knowing why we do what we do helps us know what to do and how to do it. We hope these values help give you an idea of what is important to us as a company.
We will put more back in than we take out, realizing that we are one out of many who share this place. Many have been here for generations, while others only for a while, while still others are just passing through. We value all members of these groups and count them as allies when they care about this place and work towards it’s common good. We will commit to serving the community around us and will do what we can, how we can, when asked. We understand that we live in a shared place and it is our responsibility as a company to follow the rhythms of where we live, only seeking to lead when we believe there is an opportunity to foster the health of the community, and actively attempting to partner and collaborate whenever given the chance.
Read more about our Community initiatives:
1% for Rabun County; We donate 1% of every sale, every day to local Rabun County non-profits. In 2018, we were able to donate $17,967 to groups that are doing amazing work right here in our own backyard. And all because of your generous support of our small business.
Rabun Red Wander Hat; $10 from every purchase of this hat goes direclty to the Rabun County public schools and their band program.
Local Vendors; Our store in Clayton partners with 30+ local small businesses, makers, artists, craftsman, and authors across the region. Those 30 small, family run businesses have created over 130+ locally made products that we keep in regular stock and they all come from within a 100 mile radius!
Chattooga T-Shirt Fundraiser
We will tell the truth and never seek to make things or stories more or less than the people and lifestyles they represent. In a corporate world where everybody dresses things up and claims to be something more than what they are, we will be simple, we will be honest and we will tell stories worth listening to. Our friends will be our t-shirt models and our photos won’t be over edited. Our goal is not to sell you on some unrealistic pipe dream but rather to open your eyes to the day-to-day, commonplace beauty that you experience in North Georgia. The lifestyle sells itself. We’re just using this platform to shine a spotlight on things we believe matter.
Read more about our Marketing initiatives:
- All of our photos, videos, and creative work is done in-house. What we lack in quality, we try to make up with authenticity. You won’t see any fancy ad campaigns from us. You won’t see models that we pay to wear our clothes. All of our creative is made by us, featuring us so that we can be as authentic as possible in the stories we tell.
- We volunteer our time every year building, updating, and maintaining a couple of community websites for area non-profits and small businesses including Celebrate Clayton and the North Georgia Arts Guild.
We will never forget that our most essential of distinctions, is our people. For our customers, we will always be humbled by their support, small or large and will wake up daily ready to earn the privilege of creating something worthy of their interest. For our employees and ambassadors, we will provide a place that is safe, diverse, and plays to their individual strengths. For locals of North Georgia, we will celebrate the people and places that call this place home, tread lightly wherever we go, and seek to stimulate economic impact in the region that creates living wage jobs for the next generation.
Read more about our People initiatives:
- Stockists & Partners; We have 30+ partners across the state and region. Our goal is to help connect those who don’t leave near our store a chance to meet a small business that has similar values and stories to ours.
- Workshops & Events; All of our workshops are hosted by local creatives, makers and craftsman. They keep 100% of the ticket price of these events. We give them free space to host the workshops and help them market it giving us a chance to connect our audience to their art.
- The Blog; We maintain an extensive blog that brags on the people and places of North Georgia. We do not charge for these highlights or use any ads on our website. They aren’t sponsored and there aren’t any special kickbacks. It’s our way of shining a light on the things we believe matter.
We believe the world is not ours and because of that, we make an active effort to not look for more, but to look for better. For us, online interactions, social media and web content are not the end goal. They are a means to an end as we play our role in connecting people to conservation and community issues affecting the region around us. We are seeking to blend, marry, and overlap the digital world with real life issues by encouraging people to experience the outdoors responsibly by being a part of the solution rather than the problem. We are in this for the long haul and hope to create a platform that our children will be proud to carry on one day.
Read more about our Conservation initiatives:
- Bring A Bag Challenge
- We switched to reusable bags in early 2019 for all purchases in our store eliminating single use paper bags. If you bring the bag we give you with your purchase back on any future visits, we will give you $1 off your next purchase. They make great bags to carry with you to the grocery store or to pack down and put in a pocket on your next hike to pick up trash on the trail.
- In 2018, we picked up 1,000 pounds of trash through our series of volunteer cleanup hikes. In 2019, we have picked up 400 pounds of trash and participated in a kudzu removal project along the Chattooga River.